Friday, May 25, 2012

Wild fruits -- Crab Apples and Plums -- Oh MY!

I am so excited. I have found a source of wild plums and wild crab apples. This is so intriguing to me. I am now looking for different ways to use these fruits.



I made a jar of simple crab apple spread with the juice from about 10 crab apples and some honey that was starting to sugar. I performed this by cleaning the crab apples, removing the ends, slicing out the seeds and covering in water. This mixture was then moved into the microwave and boiled for about 8 to 10 minutes. It had such a marvelous smell. Then I drained the juice into a measuring cup, I had about 1 cup. I added a cup of the granulated honey, 1/4 tsp of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp of cloves and boiled this mixture for about another 5 minutes. Then I poured this into a canning jar and moved it into the ice-box. This has been really good on peanut butter sandwiches. I think it will be really good on pancakes, biscuits and just plain bread.



My next experiment for the crab apples is to make a crab apple juice. It should be good to drink and I would think it should be healthy as well.



I just found the plums, so I am just starting to think of ways to use them.

1 comment:

Birdie said...

I think you should avoid the crab apple juice. Where on earth did you find plums? Oh, and I am super pleased to say that I got to be the first person to comment on your blog! Yay me!

It's your daughter, btw.